Orange County California

Trust Attorneys


If your loved one was collecting income from Social Security and/or a pension at the time of their passing, then the Trustee should notify Social Security as soon as possible following the passing of a loved one to stop payments from being sent to the decedent.  Social Security requires an individual live the entire month in which they make a payment. Social Security will generally seek reimbursement for the month the decedent passed away.

Avoid Issues: Notify Social Security and Pension Companies Immediately

The Trustee should also notify the pension company as soon as possible following the passing of a loved one to stop payment of the pension or for the pension company to make the necessary adjustments to the account.

Then we generally recommend that the family spend time supporting each other through this difficult time.  Once a death certificate is received, then we generally recommend an appointment is set up with experienced legal counsel to guide you through all the legal requirements.

If you have questions about your what to do following the passing of your loved one, please call our office at (714) 282-7588 and one of our experienced estate planning attorneys at the Law Office of James F. Roberts & Associates, APC, will be pleased to walk you through this process.

Pin It on Pinterest