Orange County California

Trust Attorneys


When a vehicle is not placed in a trust during the lifetime of the trust creator, it will often still arrive inside the trust as a result of the accompanying “pour-over” will. The will typically instructs that remaining property be transferred to the trust after certain debts and expenses are paid. Fortunately, where the asset in question is a motor vehicle, successor trustees may be able to avoid the probate process and transfer title.

Instead, if you are eligible, you can take advantage of a procedure for transfer title of a car to the trust. To do so, gather the following:

  • A signed California Certificate of Title for the motor vehicle.
  • A completed Affidavit for Transfer Without Probate – California Titled Vehicles or Vessels Only (REG 5).
  • A Statement of Facts (REG 256).
  • If the vehicle is less than 10 years old, a completed odometer disclosure statement.
  • Payment of the fees for transfer.

As a successor trustee of the trust, you will have to assemble the above information and complete all applicable sections and signature requirements. Once everything is gathered, you may take it to the California Department of Motor Vehicles to begin the transfer process.

For more information about transferring assets into revocable living trusts and implementing a trust plan, view our free guide, Understanding the Revocable Living Trust – In Language that Anyone Can Understand in 8 Minutes. The experienced Anaheim trust lawyers at the Law Office of James F. Roberts & Associates, APC, are happy to offer a consultation. Call our office today at (714) 282-7488.

Related Links

Pin It on Pinterest