Unless the terms of the trust specifically state that you must seek guidance from an attorney during the administration process, you do not technically have to hire one to help you. Regardless, hiring an Anaheim trust lawyer is something you should strongly consider. Trustees have many responsibilities during the administration process, several of which may not be outlined in the trust instrument. Without having a thorough understanding of California trust administration laws, you may inadvertently be neglecting some of your duties as trustee. An attorney can help you to administer a trust correctly and save you a lot of time and energy making sure you follow California law.
The following is a list of just some of the many reasons why seeking guidance from a legal professional to help administer a trust is in your best interest:
- A knowledgeable Anaheim trust administration attorney will be well-versed in all of the laws, rules, and regulations that accompany the trust administration process.
- The trust instrument itself may not go into great detail as to what your specific duties are as trustee. Your attorney can outline these responsibilities for you and help ensure that you carry them out.
- Providing notice to beneficiaries and other interested parties is a very important part of the administration process. If you are not familiar with the process for giving notice during a trust administration, you may do so incorrectly.
- An attorney can help protect you from any potential liability by advising you when your actions could be considered negligent, fraudulent, or in bad faith.
- A lawyer can handle many of the time-consuming responsibilities associated with being a trustee, relieving you of much of the burden associated with the role.
- An attorney can help you interpret the terms of the trust.
- A lawyer can help you properly manage the assets of the trust to minimize the potential for complaints or lawsuits brought by unhappy beneficiaries.
- An attorney can ensure that any tax-related obligations are carried out. Since some of the tax issues surrounding a trust administration are under strict timelines, this is very important.
For more information about finding a legal professional to help you administer a trust in California, contact the experienced Anaheim trust attorneys at the Law Office of James F. Roberts & Associates, APC. Call our office today at (714) 282-7488 for a consultation.