Vacations are often an excellent time to update your Orange County estate plan. Before you leave for your trip, you may want to make certain that your affairs are in order. This includes taking time to update your estate documents to reflect changes that you want to make, as well as to name additional successor trustees, executors, or guardians if the person that you originally named will be traveling with you.
What should you do if you are planning a trip and think you may need to update your estate documents?
The following is an overview of common steps to consider:
- Contact an experienced Orange County trust lawyer for guidance. Your attorney will review your existing plan, as well as your current financial circumstances, to make recommendations as to how to update your estate documents.
- Gather copies of all original estate planning documents as well as modifications or amendments.
- Carefully consider the changes that you would like made, such as additional successor trustees or guardians, or changes to the way your estate assets are distributed. Avoid appointing fiduciaries that will be traveling with you, as they may not be reachable in a time of need.
- Execute the newly updated estate documents in accordance with California law.
- Inform a trusted friend or loved one of the location of your estate documents.
For more information about modifying an estate plan, contact an experienced Orange County trust attorney at the Law Office of James F. Roberts & Associates, APC. Call our office at (714) 282-7488 for a consultation.