Taking time to travel and enjoy yourself on a vacation is a wonderful treat for many people. Even if you have taken the time to create a detailed estate plan in California, It is important to update your California estate plan before vacation. There are several reasons for modifying an Orange County estate plan when you plan to take a trip. An experienced Orange County trust attorney can help assess whether your overall plan should be updated before your travels.
The following are six examples of potential modifications that your attorney might recommend:
- Update your successor trustees. If you are traveling with your current successor trustees, it may be wise to name an additional successor.
- Update your power of attorney if your current agent is traveling with you. There may be a need for someone to have quick access to your bank accounts while you are gone.
- Add a new agent to make healthcare decisions if your current agent will be traveling with you.
- Update your Orange County living trust to reflect any changes that you want made to the distribution of trust assets. For example, you may want to allow for an immediate distribution to your beneficiaries upon your passing.
- If you have minor children, ensure that you have additional guardians named.
- Update phone numbers, addresses, names, and other important information necessary, in the event that something should happen to you.
It is important to update your California estate plan before vacation? View here for more from an Orange County trust attorney.To learn more about updating an estate plan, contact an experienced Orange County trust attorney today. Call the Law Office of James F. Roberts & Associates, APC, at (714) 459-5481 for a consultation.