The hectic schedule of the holiday season is over and it’s time to get back to business. As you settle back into your daily routine, it is important to also take care of less routine—but equally important—tasks such as creating an estate plan.
Why Now Is the Perfect Time to Do it
You are starting the new year off right. Committed to eating right and exercising, and you are taking charge of your finances. Creating an estate plan can be an important part of your goal setting and a way to make sure that you are providing for your family, friends, or favorite charities in the way that you want to should a tragedy strike.
Thus, before another holiday arrives you should consider creating an estate plan so that:
- Your family is protected. This includes the financial protection that you can provide with an estate plan and the emotional protection that you can provide by making sure there is certainty in the distribution of your assets.
- You can control who makes financial and medical decisions for you if you are seriously hurt. That way, you can be sure that people whom you trust are in charge of making important decisions on your behalf.
- Know who will raise your children if something happens to you. You will name a guardian for your children in case something happens to you and you are unable to raise them yourself.
- You don’t have to live with the uncertainty of not having an estate plan. We know that this is an unpleasant topic for many people. You don’t want to think about your own mortality. We understand that, and will make you comfortable during this important process.
- You can cross something off your to-do list. You can start the year with one less thing to worry about doing later.
To learn more about creating the estate plan that is right for you we encourage you to browse our free videos and read our pamphlet, The Ten Things You Must Know Before Creating (or Amending) Your Will or Trust.