If you are in charge of administering your loved one’s trust or estate, you will need copies of his death certificate. It is often easier to order multiple copies in advance rather than trying to obtain them individually as the need arises. There are multiple ways to obtain a copy of this certificate including appearing in person or ordering by telephone or fax. Another option is to simply mail in your request.
Steps for Ordering a Death Certificate by Mail in Orange County
If mailing your request for a death certificate is the most convenient method for you, the following is an overview of how to accomplish this task in Orange County:
- Verify that your loved one passed away in Orange County. For example, if he passed away at UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange, the death certificate can be obtained through the mail by contacting the Orange County Clerk-Recorder’s Office.
- Complete an application to request the death certificate. This application can be obtained online through the website for the Clerk-Recorder’s Office.
- Complete a separate application for each record that you are requesting.
- Verify the fee for obtaining a certified copy of the death certificate by reviewing the Office’s online fee schedule.
- Enclose payment with your application. Checks should be made payable to the Orange County Clerk-Recorder.
- Sign your application in the presence of a notary.
- Mail your request to the Orange County Clerk Recorder, Attn: Vital Records, 12 Civic Center Plaza, Room 106, Santa Ana, CA 92701.
We hope that this information was helpful as you begin the process of implementing your loved one’s estate plan. To learn more about our office and how we can help, we encourage you to check out our profile on Avvo today.