Even when life changes occur, some clients mistakenly avoid contacting their attorney, out of fear that the updating process is complex and overwhelming. Modifying an existing estate plan in Orange County is not a difficult process. Since you have already created your original estate documents, the foundation for your estate plan is in place. Updates should be considered maintenance to the structure that you have built, and in some cases, adding on to the structure to make it even stronger. An experienced Orange County estate planning lawyer can assist you throughout this process so that it is as straightforward and easy as possible.
What can you expect from the process of updating an estate plan in California? The following are steps that are commonly taken:
- Contact an experienced Anaheim trust attorney for advice about your existing estate plan and any recommended changes.
- Carefully review your existing estate planning documents, and make notes of any changes that you would like made.
- Gather a list of all of your assets, how they are held, where they are, and who the beneficiaries are, if any.
- Meet with your attorney to discuss the changes that you would like made, and hear her proposed strategy.
- Decide together which options are right for your family.
- Carefully review the drafts that are prepared by your Anaheim estate planning lawyer.
- Contact your attorney with any changes.
- Execute the documents.
Since none of us knows what the future holds, do not delay if you think you may be in need of an update to your estate plan. Our free pamphlet, The Ten Things You Must Know Before Creating (or Amending) Your Will or Trust, offers additional information about this process. Contact our office of experienced Anaheim estate planning attorneys for further guidance. Call us today at (714) 459-5481 for a consultation.