Move from Out of State? 6 Steps to Take to Modify Your CA Estate Plan

After you move from one state to another, you are likely facing many administrative tasks that are painstaking to carry out. Unfortunately, updating your estate plan to reflect your new home is one such task. Modifying a California estate plan should not be taken lightly, however. It is vital to the overall success of your plan and the ease of administration that you have your old documents reviewed and new ones prepared, if necessary. 

What should you do if you’ve recently moved to California from out of state, and your old documents contain your former address?

  • Contact an experienced Anaheim estate planning lawyer for guidance.
  • Obtain copies of your old estate documents.
  • Gather your financial information, including current assets, where they are held, and in whose name.
  • Review your old documents as a refresher.
  • Make a list of any changes that you would like made to your existing plan.
  • Meet with your attorney for an understanding of how the will and trust laws apply in California.

Updating your estate documents following a move from another state is just one life event that triggers a need for an estate plan modification. Several other instances should be accompanied by an estate plan update, as well. For more information about updating an estate plan to account after a move or other life change, contact our office of experienced Anaheim estate planning attorneys today. Call us at (714) 459-5481 for a consultation and further guidance.

James F. Roberts
Founder and owner of the Law Office of James F. Roberts and Associates, a premiere estate planning law firm
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment